Encouraged by her own teachers, Katja set off on the teaching path at a relatively early age. She got her first official teaching job at the age of 17, and continued teaching music in various forms alongside her Bachelor’s and Master’s studies at the Sibelius-Academy in Helsinki. Below you can read her teaching C.V.
- Singing teacher, vocal coach, music educator, singer and musician since 1998. Since 2008 through own company: Katja Maria Music. Singing lessons, vocal coaching, singing teacher and music teacher training, coaching and workshops for choirs. Launched the Online CVT Classroom in September 2014.
- Workshop teacher at Stichting Buitenkunst since 2008.
- Voice instructor and vocal coach for amateur and semi-professional choirs and vocal groups (girls choirs, youth choirs, mixed choirs) in Finland and The Netherlands since 1997.
- Writes for blogs, websites and journals for vocal and music education. References: NVZ Magazine (Dutch association for singing teachers), Vocalisten.nl , Vocal Blog. Editor for the NVZ Magazine since 2014.
- Pedagogy and teaching didactics
- Contemporary singing techniques and world music
- Complete Vocal Technique (Authorised CVT Teacher)
- Vocal physiology and anatomy
- Practice methods and performance psychology
- Orff-Schulwerk music education
EXPERIENCE AS WORKSHOP PRESENTER, LECTURER AND TRAINER
SELECTION OF PROFESSIONAL PRESENTATIONS, TRAININGS AND WORKSHOPS:
- 2015: No Instruments? No Problem! Music and vocal education. Professional training for music teachers, classroom teachers, logopedists, childcare professionals and social workers. Formation Continué Ministère de l’Éducation Nationale et de la Formation Professionelle (SCRIPT), Luxembourg.
- 2013: No Instruments? No Problem! Music and vocal education. Professional training for music teachers, classroom teachers, logopedists, childcare professionals and social workers. Formation Continué Ministère de l’Éducation Nationale et de la Formation Professionelle (SCRIPT), Luxembourg.
- 2013: Complete Vocal Technique introduction course for preparatory year for performing arts studies, Jeugdtheater Hofplein, Rotterdam.
- 2012-2013: CVT tools and pedagogy for singing teachers. Professional training (in-house) for singing teachers of the SKVR Music School in Rotterdam.
- 2013: In-house coaching for music teacher (pedagogy and didactics). Stichting TRIAS Music School, Rijswijk.
- 2012: Complete Vocal Technique introduction for Jazz/Pop students, ArtEZ Conservatory, Enschede.
- 2012: Complete Vocal Technique introduction course for preparatory year for performing arts studies, Jeugdtheater Hofplein, Rotterdam.
- 2012: CVT workshop for singing teachers of Fontys Rockacademie.
- 2011: No Instruments? No Problem! Music and vocal education. Professional training for music teachers, classroom teachers, logopedists, childcare professionals and social workers. Formation Continué Ministère de l’Éducation Nationale et de la Formation Professionelle (SCRIPT), Luxembourg.
- 2007: Singing workshop teacher. International Orff-Schulwerk 1-week course in Estonia, Estonian Association for Music Teachers.
- 2007: Sing, Say, Dance, Play. Professional training workshops for elementary school and kindergarten teachers, childcare professionals and music teachers (The American School of The Hague, British School of The Netherlands, The International School of The Hague, TASID International Daycare, International School of Amsterdam, The British School of Amsterdam).
- 2004: Music Education in Early Childhood. Workshop for music education students at the Conservatory of Jakobstad, Finland.
- 2014: Singing teacher, SKVR Music School and SKVR Jazz School, Rotterdam
- 2013 – current: Singing teacher, The Vocal Couch, Amsterdam
- 2009-2011: Singing technique teacher, Theateropleiding Selma Susanna, performing arts school (vocational training), Amsterdam
- 2007-2009: Singing teacher: MBO Theaterschool, theatre school (vocational training), Rotterdam
- 2007-2009: Singing teacher and vocal coach for theatre productions: Jeugdtheater Hofplein, youth theatre school, Rotterdam
- 2004-2007: Elementary school music teacher, piano teacher (extracurricular private music lessons): The American School of The Hague, Wassenaar
- 2003: Singing teacher and choir director: Education Centre for Adults, Vantaa
- 2002-2003: Early childhood music teacher: Arbetets Vänner Daghem (kindergarten), Helsinki.
- 1998-2003: Early childhood music teacher, vocal coach for Arpeggio girls choir, teacher of music theory and ear training, Brages Musikskola, Helsinki.
- 1997-1999: Music teacher: Sockenbacka Skola (elementary school), Helsinki,
- 1994-1996: Piano teacher: Kronoby Medborgarinstitut (cultural centre).
Singing and piano instruction, general music (PreK-high school) since 1998.
For schools including SKVR Muziekschool Rotterdam, Centrum voor de Kunsten Bergen op Zoom, BplusC Leiden, Centre for Young Musicians The Hague, International School of Amsterdam, Gymnasiet Svenska Normallyceum Helsinki, Hagelstamska Skolan Grankulla.
INDIVIDUAL COACHING CLIENTS
Katja’s individual coaching clients consist of singers on all levels and music styles, from beginners to professionals, singing teachers, music teachers, recording artists, actors, seasoned performers, soloists and cast of music theatre productions.
Due to privacy reasons as well as artistic respect she never publishes names of clients who have followed vocal coaching with her, unless specific permission has been asked for of the artist. Vocal coaching happens in full professional confidentiality.
- 2005-2008 Master of Music, Sibelius-Academy, Helsinki, Finland
- 1996-2004 Bachelor of Music, Sibelius-Academy, Helsinki, Finland
FURTHER PROFESSIONAL TRAINING:
- 2008-2011 Authorised CVT Teacher, 3-year Singing/Singing Teacher Course, Complete Vocal Institute, Copenhagen
- 2007 1-year Complete Vocal Technique Singer’s Course, Complete Vocal Institute, Utrecht
- 2001-2002 Socrates/Erasmus exchange studies, Codarts Hogeschool voor de Kunsten, Rotterdam
FURTHER PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT:
Attendance of seminars, courses and workshops, eg: vocal techniques (CVT, EVT, Singing And The Actor/Gillyanne Kayes), body-work (Feldenkrais, Alexander-technique, Yoga), and other topics related to singing and musicianship. Vocal arrangement, Brazilian music (cavaquinho and flute lessons at Escola Portátil de Música Holanda). Study and research trip to Brazil (Curitiba and Rio de Janeiro, March/April 2014).